Saturday, February 7, 2009

I Quit

I quit Lost. And I feel pretty good about it.

Lost is, like Heroes, one of those shows you have to COMMIT to. It's got a complicated story line, multiple characters, and jumps back and forth across the space/time continuum (as Hiro would say).

That said, it's a hell of a lot of work.

After the thousand year hiatus from last season, of course I'd forgotten everything that happened last season on Lost, so I planned to watch all of the reprisal episodes they've been running lately. I taped six hours' worth of them, and the tapes (because I'm too poor to afford Tivo) just sat on my tv, mocking me.

Finally, we decided to just skip all the old tapes, and just watch the new episodes this week when they finally aired on Wednesday. It'd be fun, right? Catching up with old characters, figuring out what they're doing now, trying to figure out who the hell is even alive anymore?

Well, of course we didn't watch it when it aired. We taped it and finally, my hubby and I, we decided to sit down last night and watch it once and for all.

We turned it on, and immediately started fighting because we didn't understand it. We kept rewinding, over and over, to try to make out what was happening by reading the subtitles. And who the hell are all these new people? Where did they come from? What did they want?

After about twenty minutes, we both looked at each other and admitted: this is like homework. Worse than homework. It's like a final exam that we didn't study for.

Who wants to fail Lost? Not me. We also realized, belatedly, that we don't actually even LIKE any of the characters. I certainly don't like sanctimonious Jack, and while Sawyer is hot in a greasy sort of way, I don't like him either. I find Locke to be creepy, with his passion for hunting and killing, and don't really care for sexy Kate with the troubled past. Nope, I realized. I don't much like these people and don't much care whether they are still on that island or not.

Now my Wednesday nights are free and clear for Biggest Loser and American Idol!

No comments:

Post a Comment